Founder of MoVe, Clinical and Sports Nutritionist, Author, Nutrition Researcher.
“Nutrition is my passion, I intend to create healthy nations!– Dr. Monal Velangi
I strongly believe that curiosity, inner fire and grit can make anything happen.”
Hello! I am Monal Velangi, PhD Nutrition and Dietetics and Certified Diabetes educator from India.
Education: Ph.D (2018) in Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Mumbai. M.Sc (2011), Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Mumbai. B.Sc (2009), Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Mumbai.
Work Experience: I work with K.J. Somaiya Hospital and Research Centre in addition to working in private practise. I often visit colleges for visiting lectures. I have also worked with food and health corporates in the past. I am into diet consultation since almost a decade for new born babies to elderly including pregnancy, lactation, and also in clinical (diabetes, heart, cancer, PCOS, thyroid, gestational diabetes), sports and fitness (obesity, fat loss, muscle gain). My work also revolves around curriculum development, lecturing and assessment.
Skills: Clinical Nutrition, Sports, Fitness and Preventive Nutrition, Health Communication, Epidemiology, Nutrition and Lifestyle Planning, Nutrition Research Consulting, Dietary Supplements, Lecturing.
Kinanthropometry, Level 1 (2017), International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry (ISAK)
Medical Devices Hackathon (MEDHA)(2017), Betic IIT Bombay and K.J.Somaiya College of Engineering
Scientific Writing for International Journals (2015), College of Home Science Nirmala Niketan, Affiliated to Mumbai University.
International Course in Nutrition Research Methods, Bangalore Boston Nutrition Collaboration (2014), St. John’s Research Institute, Harvard School of Public Health- Harvard University and Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy- Tufts University Collaborative.
Management of Severe Acute Malnutrition, Pediatric Nutrition (2013), SNDT University and UNICEF.
National Eligibility Test (NET) for Lecturership (2012), University Grants Commission.
Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE),National Diabetes Educator Program (2012) International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and Dr. Mohans Academy
Nutrition in Exercise and Fitness (2010),
University of Mumbai Food Processing and Preservation (2006),University of Mumbai
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
Runner up – Wimpfheimer Guggenheim Fund for International Exchange in Nutrition, Dietetics and Management, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, to International Conference FNCE2017, 100th year of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (eatright.org), Hyatt Regency Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Professional development Student Stipend Award, Asian Indians in Nutrition and Dietetics, International Conference FNCE2017, 100th year of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (eatright.org),McCormick Convention Centre, Chicago Illinois, USA
FNCE stipend award by Jo Ann Randazzo, International Conference, FNCE2017, 100th, year of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, (eatright.org), McCormick Convention Centre, Chicago Illinois, USA
Runner up, Best E-poster, National Conference BPCON2017, Indian Society of Hypertension, India Habitat Centre, Delhi, India
Women Graduates Union Research Scholar of the Year 2015-2016, Women Graduates Union, Bombay Association, Indian Federation of Women’s Association, Affiliated to International Federation of University Women
Women Graduates Union Scholarship 2014-2015, Women Graduates Union, Bombay Association, Indian Federation of Women’s Association, Affiliated to International Federation of University Women
Secured 1st Rank in Nutrition and Exercise for Fitness, 2010-2011, University of Mumbai
Effective Communication for Nutrition Education – 1 st Prize, 2008, Nirmala Niketan and Kellogg’s India Pvt. Ltd
Book Chapter: Monal Velangi. Nutrition for Exercise and Lifestyle Diseases: Prevention, Health Promotion and Community Physiotherapy: A Textbook and Guide for Physiotherapy Students, Jaypee Brothers: Medical Publishers. Editor Dr. Bharti Bellare, January 2018
Monal Velangi, Subhadra Mandalika, Surendra Shukla, Vandana Pradhan . “ Effect of Vitamin D3 and Virgin coconut oil on cartilage degeneration, inflammation and functional abilities in early knee osteoarthritis, Journal of Functional Foods in Health and Disease (FFHD): Online ISSN: 2160-3855, Volume 9, Issue 10, October 2019, pp: 662 -677. (Open Access) Functional Food Centre, Texas, USA. ICI: 78.41, listed on Web of Science, and Emerging Sources Citation Index. DOI: 10.31989/ffhd.v9i10.653
Monal Velangi, Subhadra Mandalika, Surendra Shukla (2016); Serum Vitamin D Levels and Bone Health of Patients Suffering from Early Knee Osteoarthritis; International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) ISSN (Online): 2319-7064; Volume 5 Issue 6, June 2016, pp: 2251-2254. (Open Access). Scientific Journal Impact Factor: 6.391
Velangi M, Mandalika S and Shukla S. (2015); Vitamin D status, Inflammatory markers and pain in Early Knee osteoarthritis. International Journal of Biosciences, Agriculture and Technology (IJRBAT), Special Issue (6) October 2015; pp:430. (Open Access). Cosmos Impact Factor: 5.060
Monal Velangi, High Five to be Fit Status: accepted (2017); (Essay on education models to combat malnutrition in rural and urban areas)- award winning essay for Wimpfheimer Guggenheim award , International Exchange in Nutrition, Dietetics and Management, 100th year of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, USA. https://eatrightfoundation.org/international-resources-and-opportunities/the-wimpfheimer-guggenheim-fund-for-international-exchange-in-nutrition-dietetics-and-management/wimpfheimer-guggenheim-essays/monal-velangi-2017/.
Association of Dietary Nutrient Intake with Inflammation and Cartilage Degeneration in Early Knee Osteoarthritis. Monal Velangi, Subhadra Mandalika, Surendra Shukla; XVII International Congress of Dietetics, Revista Española de Nutrición Humana y Dietetica / Spanish Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2016; 20(Suppl. 1): 421 – 475. Elsevier publication. Impact factor: 1.92
1. “ Effect of Vitamin D3 and Virgin coconut oil on cartilage degeneration, inflammation and functional abilities in early knee osteoarthritis” at 27th International Conference of Functional Food Centre in collaboration with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Joseph Martin Auditorium Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA, 21st- 22nd September 2019.
2. “Vitamin D status, Inflammatory markers and pain in Early Knee osteoarthritis” at National Conference on Recent Trends in Life Sciences, Material Sciences and Home Sciences, Hotel Centre Point, Ramdaspeth, Nagpur, India, 4th October 2015
3. “Vitamin D status, Body composition and Functional abilities in Early knee osteoarthritis” at 46th Annual National Conference of Nutrition Society of India on “ Nutritional Approach for combating non communicable diseases in India”, Dayanand Medical College, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India, November 2014.
1. “Maternal dietary protein intake in Indian women suffering from Gestational Diabetes Mellitus”, Monal Velangi, Dr. Sanjay Godbole, National conference RSSDICON 2017, Bhubhaneshwar, November2017.
2. “Dietary Consumption of Anti-inflammatory foods in Metabolic Syndrome”. Monal Velangi, Dr. M.E. Yeolekar, 27th National Conference, BPCON17, September 2017, India Habitat Centre, Delhi, India.
3. “ Association of Dietary nutrient intake with Functional Abilities in early knee osteoarthritis”. Monal Velangi, Subhadra Mandalika, Surendra Shukla, 49th Annual National Conference – Indian Dietetic Association Conference September 2016, Mumbai, India.
4. Eposter: Association of Dietary Nutrient Intake with Inflammation and Cartilage Degeneration in Early Knee Osteoarthritis. Monal Velangi, Subhadra Mandalika, Surendra Shukla; XVII International Congress of Dietetics, Granada 2016, Spain, September 2016.
5. “Association of Bone Nutrients with Pain Intensity in Early Knee Osteoarthritis”, ‘Nutritional Perspectives in Bone Health: Recent Advances’ held on, National Seminar, Nutrition Society of India- College of Home Science Nirmala Niketan, Mumbai, August, 2016.
6. “Serum Vitamin D Levels, Body Composition And Pain In Early Knee Osteoarthritis”, Community Nutrition and Health, International Symposium, IIT Bombay, Mumbai, December 2015
7. “Vitamin D status and Dietary Nutrient Intake of Early Knee Osteoarthritis Patients” , at 11thInternational Food Data Conference on “ Food Composition and Public Health Nutrition”, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, November 2015.
8. “Detection of Common Adulterants in Milk Commonly Consumed in Mumbai”, at XXI,ICFOST on “Innovations in Food Science and Technology to Fuel the Growth of the Indian Food Industry, Pune, January 2012.
9. “Milk Adulteration in the city of Mumbai – branded v/s unbranded milk” at SASNET Fifth International Conference on “Fermented Foods, Health Status and Social Wellbeing: Challenges and opportunities”, CFTRI, Mysore, December 2011.
· Core Committee and Social Media Committee , Nutrition Society of India – Mumbai Chapter
· Life Member – Indian Dietetics Association- Mumbai Chapter