Turmeric powder commonly known as haldi holds a crucial place in our spice box and in Indian cuisine. This typical yellow coloured spice is the ground form of the turmeric root. There are about 30 varieties of turmeric. Best varieties are found in south India, amongst which organic “Salem” is widely preferred.
Turmeric contains bioactive compound curcumin, which has several functional properties which provides medicinal benefits as follows:
- Anti-inflammatory, analgesic and pain relief : bone disorders (arthritis, joint pain), cancer, heart diseases, eye disorders (age related macular degeneration , mebomitis), brain health (Alzheimer’s and depression)
- Anti-viral, antifungal and antimicrobial and immunity boosting effects (cold and cough, skin rashes, allergies)
- Wound healing : Post-operative cases, cuts and bruises.
- Antioxidant : Anti- aging, protects against pollution.
How to make the most out of the turmeric spice in beverages?
For maximum benefit use it with pepper, as its piperine improves curcumin absorption or ghee or virgin coconut oil , curcumin being fat soluble can help in better absorption.
Home based DIY Recipes
- Turmeric tea / Golden tea: A) Bring 250 ml of water to a boil. Add ¼th teaspoon of turmeric powder, simmer and steep for 10 minutes. Strain this tea through a strainer into a cup. To this add 1/8th teaspoon pepper, ¼th teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon lemon; or B) Bring 250 ml of water to a boil. Add 2 cloves, ¼th teaspoon cinnamon powder, ¼th teaspoon of turmeric powder, ¼th teaspoon pepper powder to it. Allow it to steep for about 5 minutes before pouring in the cup. Best time: Early morning.
- Haldi milk/ Golden Milk: Add ¼th teaspoon of turmeric powder to 1 cup of milk and bring it to a boil. Further to this add 2 strands of saffron , ¼th teaspoon ghee and ¼th teaspoon honey. Best time: Early morning or bed time.
- Turmeric Coconut latte / Golden Coconut milk : Take 1 cup of coconut milk , add ¼th tsp turmeric powder, ½ inch grated ginger and bring it to a boil. To this add, 2 strands of saffron 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil and ¼th teaspoon honey. Best time: Mid morning or late evening
Caution: Consult your nutritionist / dietitian before taking any supplements.
Dr. Monal Velangi
MoVe towards a healthier you!